Lost Password

Yale menu

Daily News

Edward Joseph Mulligan, Jr.

Died: April 7, 1971

Ted Mulligan came to Yale from Concord, New Hampshire, where he attended Concord High School. He was a Russian Studies major and held the John S. Garvin Scholarship. A member of Silliman College, he roomed with Dan Copp, Brad Niebling and Jim Walters. Ted was known for his understated, wry sense of humor. A dedicated and determined long-distance runner, he lettered on both the varsity cross-country and track teams in his sophomore, junior, and senior years. Following graduation from Yale, Ted attended Boston University Law School, where he excelled in his studies. In the spring of 1968, he married a law school classmate, Judith Dunlop, Bennington College ’66. A year later, Ted was diagnosed with leukemia. He quickly went into remission and lived a full and active life for two years. After graduating from law school, Judy and Ted moved to Concord. Ted clerked for the Hon. Frank R. Kenison, Chief Justice of the New Hampshire Supreme Court and later was an associate at McLane, Graf, Green & Brown, the largest law firm in New Hampshire. In April 1971, however, symptoms of leukemia reappeared, and within a week Ted passed away. He died on April 7, 1971.

Richard Snierson remembers:

Ted Mulligan, although quiet, was an extremely bright, likable and personable guy. Both of us: are from NH, are Y66, and are Boston University School of Law 1969. Also, the two of us were the two law clerks at the New Hampshire Court 1969-70, and we became very close during that year. During law school, Ted married a law school classmate, Judith Dunlop.

Ted had the highest score on the NH Bar Exam given in June of 1969, quite an accomplishment in and of itself, but especially because Ted did not take the Bar Review Course! Judy, took the course and Ted just read over the printed materials and her class notes.

Ted contracted leukemia during law school. He went into remission, but was regularly undergoing blood tests. At the end of the summer of 1970, when I left NH to start three years of active duty in the USMC, Ted was doing okay and had gone to work at a top law firm in Manchester. However, when I was making plans to come home for four days of leave in April 1971, I learned from my parents that Ted had just passed away. My then-wife and I attended Ted’s funeral which, needless to say, was very sad. Besides being a great guy, Ted had great promise.

Think back to 1969-70, the War and the anti-war demonstrations. My then-wife’s father, who had connections in the entertainment industry, got four tickets for Hair for us. Ted, and I and our wives went to NYC for the weekend and saw the show Saturday night. First thing Monday morning, Ted and I were having a cup of coffee in our office and laughing. The chief justice came in and said “You fellows are in good spirits. You must have had a good weekend.” Ted smiled, looked at me and indicated, “tell him.” So, I told the chief justice that we went to NYC and saw Hair. He started laughing and said, “Good for you!”

Michael Chusid remembers:

I was on the freshman and Varsity Track and Field teams with Ed. He was one of a strong group of middle and long distance runners we had on the team at that team. If I recall, he ran primarily the half mile and mile. He was good enough to have gotten both his freshman numerals and Varsity Y in Track and Field, not an easy accomplishment because you had to accumulate enough points in meets to qualify for numeral or a letter. That meant you had to place first, second, or third in an event in dual meets to garner any points. I believe Ed was on the team for all four years, as was I; but the team was large, and the runners, who seemed to do endless laps, and the field guys like myself hung around our specialty areas (I was a high jumper), so we didn’t interact much. We also had different coaches. Ed was coached by Bob Giegengack (Gieg). Gieg was a long time Yale institution and former U.S.A. Olympic coach.